COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE (CC) READ ME
Information for Committee members
(You can reach this page via the SITE MAP)
Before reading this you should read the CC's Publicity Contacts and Procedures. Note that the Church Secretary while not a member of the CC is an integral part of it's process and needs to be kept informed of our activites. As a committee we do not have or for that matter need, regular meetings since we all do most of our work from home and by email or phone with other committee members. If you have questions about how to handle a particular PR problem don't hesitate to ask any member of the committee for help.
ROUTINE FLOW OF INFORMATION
- All notices go to the Church Secretary. S/he edits and publishes them
- In the monthly CARILLON which is sent to Church members by email as a PDF file attachment.
- In the monthly CALENDAR which is sent to Church members by email as a PDF file attachment
- In the weekly BULLETIN which is handed out at the Sunday or other services.
- S/he also distributes special copies of these publications as soon as they are ready, usually Friday or the last day of the month.
- Printed copies of the CARILLON, CALENDAR and BULLETIN to the Staff mailboxes at Church.
- DOC copies of the CARILLON and BULLETIN by email to CC members.
- Finally s/he makes selected urgent notices available to Rev. Watson for inclusion in the PASTOR'S WEEKLY EMAIL which usually goes out on Friday.
- When the Church Webmaster, receives the PDF and DOC copies from Church Secretary by email s/he processes them and puts them on the Website
- Links to the new CARILLON, CALENDAR and BULLETIN are usually added to the web Archive and Events pages right away
- A link to the PASTOR'S WEEKLY EMAIL is usually added to the web Archive and Home pages right away.
- Next week's schedule and notices from the BULLETIN are usually copied and pasted from the DOC copy to the web Events page by Monday.
- Special notices from the CARILLON are usually copied and pasted from the DOC copy to various parts of the Website within a few days.
- The Public Events Posters, looks for and post appropriate events to:
- The Media Relations person, prepares any required press releases and ads.
- The Videographer, looks for any events or segments of the Church services that will require special video treatment.
SPECIAL FLOW OF INFORMATION
- All members of the CC scan the CC emails looking for items they should be handling the same way they would the routine information stream.
- The Church Secretary in turn will act on anything in the CC emails that should go through the routine flow above.
- Files with the DOC format normally open in Microsoft Word. If you don't have a copy of Word on your computer you can download the free Reader from Microsoft. This will allow you to copy and paste any content you need without retyping it.
- In many cases you can copy and paste from a PDF file without retyping.
- Most email programs allow you to copy and paste from them without retyping.
- Files and photos on the Church website can be copied and pasted wherever you need them, again without retyping.
- If you run into a situation where special characters are messing up your cuts and pastes contact the webmaster for a copy of Clipcase, a small free program that converts whatever you copy into the equivalent of what you would have typed yourself.
- We have accumulated a very large library of photographs about the Church. The Webmaster will make these available if you need them. In addition you can download any of the Church photos on Facebook.
- If you don't have a copy of Photoshop or PaintShopPro get a copy of Picasa, a free download from Google. It has a very powerful easy to use photo editor in it.